TERESA C. TORISEVA, ESQ.
Attorney Teresa C. Toriseva is a top national litigator with extensive experience in mass torts, complex litigation, and going against financial giants. She graduated WVU Law School in 1995 as both Order of the Coif and Order of the Barrister, a dual honor few achieve in law schools nationwide. Teresa is admitted to practice law in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. She is admitted to the following courts: U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit; Federal Court of Claims; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia. In 2007, Teresa served as the President of the West Virginia Association for Justice, a statewide trade association representing more than 500 attorneys in private practice and public service throughout West Virginia and surrounding states. She is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system – the highest that can be achieved.
Teresa is more than just a lawyer. She is the mother of two beautiful kids, three German Shepherds, 1 Greyhound, one “mutt”, and a cat with a bad attitude. A promoter of change and rights for all, she is also now running to be West Virginia State Delegate in the House of Delegates representing District 4 in Ohio County. The general election is November 8, 2022.
When she isn’t orchestrating the law offices of Toriseva Law, Teresa is challenging people to think through her extensive social media presence. Pushing the boundaries and expanding the horizons, Teresa enjoys motivating people to learn and become informed.
Teresa is a motivator. “Stay alive and create risk” is a favored saying of hers around the office. Most importantly, she is the heart and soul of Toriseva Law. She can often be heard quoting Mark Twain with, “If there weren’t any bad people, there wouldn’t be any good lawyers.”
Download vCard CV email@example.com | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
JOSHUA D. MILLER, ESQ. – PARTNER
Born and raised in Wheeling, Josh attended West Virginia University and played on the WVU Hockey Team for four years. After working in the trucking and heavy equipment auction industry, he decided to become a lawyer and join his father’s law firm. He attended and graduated from Capital University Law School in Columbus, Ohio. While at Capital Law, Josh had the distinction of becoming the first First-Year law Student in school history to be chosen to the school’s Moot Court Team and separately, along with his partner, won the intra-school moot court competition, arguing in front of the Ohio Supreme Court.
Following law school, Josh focused his practice on Ohio based cases while working for his father. In 2013, he joined Toriseva Law as a full-time associate and has been an integral part of building the firm into what it is today. Josh is licensed to practice law in West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. He is admitted to the following courts: United States Court of Appeals, United States District Court of West Virginia, the Unites States District Court for the Northern District Court of Ohio, the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia. Josh previously served on the West Virginia State Bar Board of Governors as the State Representative for the First District (Ohio, Brooke, and Hancock Counties). This is a peer-elected position that has a three-year term and provides representation to the West Virginia State Bar for all the licensed lawyers in the district.
Beyond hockey and the law, Josh enjoys time spent with his dogs. Once, on a trip in New Mexico, a stray dog made its way to Josh at a gas station. With no owner in sight and a confirmation from the gas station attendant that the dog was a stray, Josh brought a new friend back to Wheeling.
As to his work with the team at Toriseva Law, Josh says, “We fight important battles for our clients. I love how we all work together for that one common purpose – the best possible advocacy. Our secret is teamwork.”
- Josh heads Toriseva Law’s Civil Litigation section.
- A former long-haul, over the road truck driver, Josh still holds a valid CDL.
- Josh has also worked as an auctioneer.
- After working in the trucking and heavy equipment arena, Josh entered law school at 27 years old.
- Josh looms large over Toriseva Law at a towering 6 foot 4 inches.
- The practice of law runs in Josh’s family, his father and his maternal grandfather were local lawyers, and his great grandfather was a judge in Wetzel County, West Virginia.
Download vCard firstname.lastname@example.org | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
SHERRILYN FARKAS VANTASSEL, ESQ. – PARTNER
Attorney Sherri VanTassel is a 1985 graduate of Jefferson Technical College, a 1990 graduate of Wheeling Jesuit University and a 1994 graduate of Duquesne University School of Law. She is licensed in the state and federal courts of West Virginia and the U.S. Supreme Court; with pending admissions to Ohio and Pennsylvania. Sherri heads Toriseva Law’s domestic law section.
The majority of Sherri’s legal career was as in-house counsel for several large companies and institutions in the area and therefore has an extensive business and corporate background, but her passion is domestic relations and services to youth. She is certified as a Guardian Ad Litem for family law and abuse/neglect in Ohio and West Virginia; is active in county and state 4-H; was a founding member of Harmony House Children’s Advocacy Center; and volunteers with the Belmont County Sheriff’s Office on special project including the Explorer youth program, Citizen’s Academy, Crime Stoppers Upper Ohio Valley and raising money for the K-9 Division.
Sherri and her daughter own and show American Quarter Horses, manage a large farm in Harrison County, Ohio and loves animals of shapes and sizes. Sherri is “Aunt Sherri” to kids and now adults around the Ohio Valley because she always made time to pay it forward for the support she got from her mentors. A widow, Sherri shares her beloved stepdaughters with their mother in a strong and mutually supportive relationship. “I joined Toriseva Law because of the atmosphere of strength, tenacity, and zealousness for the clients we represent and the causes that we fight for. It’s important to be able to meet every client where they are in their struggle and help get them to a better place.”
- She and her daughter have a horse farm, own, and show American Quarter Horses on a local, regional, and national level
- She is actively involved in youth programs including 4-H and Explorers
- She is a volunteer Outreach Coordinator for Belmont County Sheriff’s Office working on behalf of their office on community outreach and youth programs
- She worked at least full-time while attending college for all her degrees
- She and her daughter are avid gun enthusiasts and shoot handguns, shotguns, and rifles
- She is a strong supporter of law enforcement and is active in FOPA Lodge #13
- She was the first person in her family to attend college
- Her favorite sports are equestrian and boxing
Download vCard email@example.com | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
MICHAEL A. KUHN, ESQ. – PARTNER
Michael grew up in Mt. Pleasant Ohio and is a 1997 graduate of Buckeye Local High School. After some time working underground as a coal miner Michael returned to school to complete his education. Michael obtained an Associate’s degree from West Virginia Northern Community College in 2006 and a Bachelor’s degree from Ohio University in 2008. While working in the field of child abuse and neglect Michael obtained a Masters in Social Work (MSW) from West Virginia University and became a licensed social worker.
During his time in social work Michael specialized in work with abused children and women, working as trained forensic interviewer, child protective service worker and supervisor, and therapist. Michael has a passion for helping those that cannot always help themselves. Realizing that a law degree afforded him the best opportunity to help others Michael fulfilled his lifelong dream to attend law school and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 2019. While at Pitt, Michael was awarded the Judge Gerald K. Gibson Award for his work in the study of Bankruptcy by the Allegheny Bar Association. Michael is currently admitted to practice law in West Virginia.
Michael is a proud husband, father, and grandfather who enjoys spending time with his family and traveling. Michael feels that Toriseva Law is unique because it feels like a big firm, but it is dedicated to the individual, the underdog. Michael hates bullies and believes that if a client has a problem, then he also has that problem.
- Proudly blue-collar, Michael worked as an underground coalminer prior to returning to school to complete his bachelor’s degree.
- Michael grew up understanding the unique challenges faced by military families as his father is a 37-year veteran of the United States Air Force.
- A strong-work ethic, Michael has worked two jobs most of his life, even now, he regularly picks up shifts as a bartender at a friend’s bar and grill to “blow off steam.”
- Michael began law school on his 37th birthday.
Download vCard firstname.lastname@example.org | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
CIERRA WALKER-Litigation Paralegal
Born and raised in Wheeling, WV, Cierra is a graduate of West Virginia Northern Community College with an Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies Cierra then obtained her bachelor’s degree in Paralegal studies from Purdue University Global. Cierra is the 2021 recipient of the Phoenix Award given by the Ohio Valley African American Students Association. The Phoenix Award is a peer nominated award given for being a nontraditional student that transcended obstacles in life to become successful.
Cierra came to Toriseva Law with years of experience working with local courts and attorneys in all facets of the law. Cierra’s paralegal experience and unwavering dedication to the trial process gives the Toriseva law team a clear edge as they prepare for trial. As a Litigation Paralegal Cierra collaborates with the attorneys to prepare, support, and accompany attorneys as they go to trial. Cierra is the ultimate multi-tasker working full time as a member of our team here at Toriseva Law, all while being mom to four wonderful children. When asked about her hobbies, Cierra simply laughed and said family is everything to her.
- Cierra completed her bachelor’s degree while working full time and raising her young children.
- Cierra is a basketball fanatic and is always glad to talk about her beloved Golden State Warriors.
- Family is most important to Cierra, and she looks forward to a yearly trip to Deep Creek, Maryland each Summer with her extended family.
- Cierra is a fan of comic book movies, and her favorite character is the Incredible Hulk.
Download vCard email@example.com | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
KIM JOHNSON, Paralegal
Born and raised in Philadelphia and New Jersey, Kim came to West Virginia to attend Alderson-Broaddus College and never left West Virginia. She began her career as a teacher of gifted students in Brooke County Schools and was principal of Follansbee Middle before retiring. During that time, Kim pursued a MA degree from WVU in Special Education, a School Leadership certification from Salem International University and ultimately, a law degree from Duquesne University School of Law.
Kim has worked for Brooke County Schools, RESA VI, Dittmar, Taylor & Makricostas and most recently, for Rokisky, McCune, Wilharm & Blair.
Kim lives in Follansbee with her husband, daughter and grandson, family dog and, after a recent week at the Jersey shore, two hermit crabs. She enjoys playing the piano for church and now, watching her young grandson begin playing on local sports teams.
As for joining the Toriseva Law family, Kim says, “I looked forward to working at Toriseva Law to support people as they navigate our legal system. They can’t do it alone, and our Toriseva family works together, and with our clients, to reach resolution of their issues and problems.”
- Kim attended law school with Toriseva Law attorney Sherri VanTassel.
- Kim is the most educated member of Toriseva Law.
- Following a career in education, Kim is uniquely situated to assist attorneys with situations arising in schools.
- Kim is highly active in her church and devotes time away from work to her church family.
Download vCard firstname.lastname@example.org | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
FRANK EBERHART, Paralegal /Litigation Support Services
Born and raised in Wheeling, WV, Frank Eberhart has been a life-long member of the Ohio Valley. Frank is a 1996 graduate of Wheeling Park High School. After graduation Frank enlisted into the U.S. Navy and was stationed in Groton, Ct. After his service Frank attended West Virginia University to pursue an education in Engineering before switching gears and joining the work force. Frank attended the International Masonry Institute and served a 6000-hour Apprenticeship in Bricklayers Local 1 WV. Frank worked as a Union Bricklayer out of the hall till 2012 when he was selected to be the Business Agent and Union Organizer for the Bricklayers and Allied Craftworks of West Virginia. During that time Frank attended multiple classes on Investigations, Contract negotiations, OSHA & MSHA standards, Labor Law, and Organizing.
Frank came to Toriseva Law with years of leadership experience working at the top level of Organized Labor. His organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and unmatched work ethic has changed the way we practice law.
Frank lives in Washington, Pa with his wife Angela, their 3 children, and 2 dogs. When asked about hobbies, Frank responded with family, travel, and community service. One notable community service project Frank had the honor to complete is the Wheeling Fallen Firefighter Memorial, dedicated on July 7, 2016.
- Frank loves to travel with his family, his favorite destination is anywhere.
- Family is most important to Frank.
- Frank is a proud Navy Dad; his son is a Submariner.
- Frank is highly active with community service in his work and home communities.
Download vCard email@example.com | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149
LEE ANN WILMOT, Finance Department
Lee Ann graduated from John Marshall High School, WV Northern Community College, and Wheeling Jesuit University with a bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management. Over the years, she has worked with healthcare and legal documentation as well as financial services for hospitals, physician practices, large services, and law firms. She has owned and managed Wilmot Transcription Plus+, a documentation service, since 1998. She has been with Toriseva Law finance department since June 2020.
- She has been a member of the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity for more than 20 years, serving in leadership roles at the local, regional, and national levels.
- She is married to Kevin and has two grown children, their spouses, and 3 young grandchildren.
- She loves to travel, especially when it involves spending time with her family.
- She is a volunteer for Bridge to Home Animal Rescue in Pennsylvania.
- She is an active member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church.
Download vCard firstname.lastname@example.org | O: 304-238-0066 | F: 304-238-0149